Graduation requirements at Charleston Catholic exceed the standards set by the State of West Virginia. Students graduating from CCHS earn a total of 28 credits (i.e., seven credits in each grade level 9 – 12). No graduation credit is given for courses taken prior to ninth grade. The diploma granted to CCHS students is based on completion of both State and school requirements.
These requirements are:
- Science: 3 credits (physical science, biology, chemistry)
- Foreign Language: 2 credits
- English: 4 credits
- Arts/Humanities: 1 credit
- Mathematics: 4 credits
- Physical Education: 1 credit
- Theology: 4 credits
- Health: 1 credit
- Social Studies: 3 credits (US History, World History, and 20th/21st Century)
- Electives: 5 credits
- Yearly community service requirement, as defined by the Theology department
- Yearly humanities/ fine arts requirement
Twenty-eight (28) credits, as outlined above, are required for graduation. An additional credit will be noted on the transcript for completion of the fine arts requirement. All courses taken at CCHS will be counted in a student’s grade point average.